Monday, September 5, 2011

14 Days Later

Main Entrance - Guangxi University
After months of paperwork and going through the Visa process, it was a welcome relief to finally make it over to China. Nothing you see on television, or read about, can prepare you for the culture shock of such a different place. Fairly westernized metropolis centers such as Hong Kong are one thing, but Guangxi Province and more specifically Nanning, are eye openers. Going from a summer camp in Kirkfield, Ontario (population 300), to a city of 6.5 million is quite the change. As different as it it, I have been thoroughly enjoying the process. After all, it is all part of the adventure!

During my initial arrival in Nanning, I was welcomed by several senior students at the airport. I was informed that they would be my assistants throughout the academic year. They have been a blessing these first couple weeks, as I was basically a blind sheep upon arrival, who had to be guided through the setup of a bank account, residence permit, shopping, dinning, etc. Their level of English differs and the stronger ones are generally working towards a major in the subject. I felt like a rock star the first week, as I toured the city with my assistants and many of their friends in tow. My shopping cart would be pushed, bags carried and bartering taken care of!

Campus Scenery
What strikes me the most about Southern China is the absence of Westerners. There are probably under 200 in Nanning, most of which of course...teach English. You are an object of curiosity here, especially when you are over the 6' mark. Expect a few hundred point blank stares whenever you go out. The best is when you get a large group of students yelling 'hello' at you. Overall, the Chinese are a very welcoming and kind people.

Making a Cake for the Birthday!
I have another week left of orientation/prep, before I start teaching first year English (Reading, Writing, Listening/Speaking). It will be nice to finally have my own classroom and there is a great deal of freedom with the curriculum. Looking forward to kick-starting the year and will provide updates as the adventure progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment